Our Wild Goose Chase

Follow us along as we journey to Ethiopia and beyond...On our way to bring home the newest member of the Remick Family.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Where Have I Been???

So, something you should know about me is that I'm not very good at things like journaling and to me this is a lot like journaling. And in keeping with my past record, I'm going to start off this new year with a vow to journal/ blog more often. You can keep me accountable. I might actually stick to it if I knew someone was out there to keep me going.

Something else you might not have known about me is my resistance to technology. It finally began to catch up with me recently when my 13 year old daughter started asking if it was okay if she IM'd people online. This is the year 2011 and my daughter is just now realizing this is something you can do. I'm holding my children back from the wave of technology and I'm thinking that it's not going to serve them well in the future. I guess it's time to join the rest of the world. Gone are face to face interactions, phone calls, drop by's to say 'Hi', etc. So, now we blog, tweet, text, and check Facebook to see if we have any new "friends" and to get "caught up" with how they are doing. Sheesh!!!

I started this blog as a way to keep others up to speed on where we are in our adoption process and to journal my thoughts and feeling about this journey as well. Obviously, there have been things to talk about over the past several months....I'll do my best to capture it all in a hurry.

Really, July???? That was the last entry? Wow! Okay, The summer was busy with camping and lots of playing. We worked on finishing our dossier but had a few bumps in the road. All journeys seem to have these and this one has been bumpy for sure. In July, I became very sick with pneumonia and was laid up for a few weeks with that. My Nanny past away the end of August after almost a year of cancer. I miss her...and my dad. School started up and then we were off racing around with one in private school and the other homeschooling. I realized that almost 3 months had past without our dossier being worked on and frustration began to set in. In October, I was diagnosed with RA which is a form of arthritis. Really??? I'm not even 40 yet. This was a huge blow for me and I had to do some deep searching with God. "Did I hear You right? Are we supposed to be adopting again?" "Why now? Why did this come up now?" I ached, literally....everywhere, and my heart ached for answers. After some wise counsel from a dear friend I was able to pull up my bootstraps and muster enough resolve to fight this thing because that baby that God has waiting for us is OUR baby no matter what.

My Dr. says my RA is what he calls 'on the fringe, outer edges of normal' which means that I'm not in as much pain as others are with this condition. He also told me that becoming a mommy again will actually help matters. It'll make me feel young and having to run after a little one will give me the exercise I need to keep my joints moving freely. Alrighty then, we move onward!

In a matter of a few days our dossier was complete and on it's way to D.C. for authentication and with it I felt a renewed jolt of energy. The next day I received a call from the courier telling me that we needed one more item. WHAT!!!! URGH! Okay, we can handle this. So, with one more bump, and one more week of delays we were off to Ethiopia and officially on the waiting list.

We aren't sure how long this part of the process will take. I'm certain that it is going to require a lot of patience but knowing that God is in control makes the waiting easier. We're hopeful that we'll get to meet our new little one sometime in this new year. Until then, we pray. I go to bed at night thinking about this baby. Is he/she even born yet? What will he/she look like? I imagine what our lives will look like with a new baby around...and it makes me giggle. =)

When we choose to walk the road with Christ, you never know where He's going to take you but you can count on it being exciting getting there. When we first began praying about whether we should adopt again, Travis heard very clearly that this was going to be a hard road to travel but that it was one we were to walk down with Him. It has been hard so far but I've been learning how to lean on Him when I'm frustrated, confused, sad, and hurting. Jesus said," Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30 I believe this is what He's teaching me t doo right now. This is something too big for me and Travis to do alone. He is offering to walk with us in this journey and along the way we will learn to rest in Him no matter the bumps we face.

Cris


No comments: